Join renowned architect and Professor Tom Woolley for a one-day interactive workshop to look at the wide range of materials and construction techniques needed to build and renovate natural and healthy homes.
• An explanation of airtightness, energy efficiency and chemicals used
• Introduction to conventional construction methods, building materials and where construction materials come from. How they are manufactured and how they can damage the planet.
• Reviewing the materials used in the Rediscovery Centre and other samples of healthy and not so healthy materials
• A session on the theory of embodied energy, chemicals and bio-based materials
• Demonstrating the methods of checking and testing indoor air quality
• Details of all the alternative eco, bio-based and recycled building materials
• A look at construction methods, including timber framing and other options
• Where to source building materials and how to save money and keep budgets low
• How to improve and renovate your home or build a new one
About your tutor:
Professor Tom Woolley is an international recognised Architect who has published eight books on sustainable construction. He has also constructed many exemplar eco-buildings and runs training workshops around the world. Tom has been a Visiting Professor at the Centre for Alternative Technology. He was a consultant to the Rediscovery Centre on the selection and specification of building materials for the reconstruction of the Ballymun boiler house and also consulted on the early concepts for the Rediscovery Centre almost 20 years ago. Tom’s latest book Natural Building Techniques will be available at a significant discount to participants