Climate change and biodiversity loss are two of the key challenges of this century. In order to find sustainable solutions for constructing our built environment, building professionals need to understand the core concepts. This course introduces the key subject areas relating to sustainability including climate change, energy efficiency, resource use, circularity, nature & biodiversity, health & well-being, and climate adaptation.
This course aims to link building professionals’ experiences to the climate challenges that society is confronting and to explore the sustainable solutions available to address them. By the end of the course, learners will understand key concepts about sustainability in the built environment in relation to planetary boundaries and resources. They will have developed a sustainability lens in which to view their work and identify key actions to enable them to become leaders in the industry to address these challenges.
Introduction to Sustainability and Climate Change.
Sustainability in the Built Environment.
Tools for Measuring Sustainability.
Upon successful completion of this course, delegates should be able to:
- Understand key concepts about the global sustainability challenge.
- Know how the built environment both contributes too and is affected by the global sustainability challenge.
- Identify the key concepts relating to sustainability in the built environment including climate change, energy efficiency, resource use, circularity, nature & biodiversity, health & well-being, and climate adaptation.
- Understand some of the key EU and National policy actions affecting the built environment including the Green Deal, Renovation wave, EPBD, Taxonomy regulations and the Government climate action plan.
- Demonstrate an understanding of whole life carbon and differentiate between operational and embodied carbon emissions and the role the circular economy plays in reducing these.
- Understand some of the key tools that can be used to assess and report on sustainability in the built environment including the EU Level(s) framework and voluntary certification tools.
Who Should Attend?
Construction professionals including engineers, architects, and surveyors.
This course is delivered by IGBC for Engineers Ireland